The Ela Murray International School Early Learning Centre offers a play-based, educational program in accordance with the IEA Early Childhood Curriculum.
Our Early Childhood Curriculum covers the period from 2 years to school entry and recognises that there are often wide variations in the rate and timing of children’s growth and development and in their capacity to learn new things in new places.
We believe that children’s learning is not divided up into sections. One experience will provide opportunities to develop a number of skills, concepts and competencies across several areas of learning. However, the following six areas have been set as a designated early childhood curriculum,
Communication, Language and Literacy
- Includes communication, speaking and listening in different situations and for different purposes
- Exposure to a wide variety of literature
- Develops the foundations for early reading and writing skills
- Improving skills of coordination, control, manipulation and movement
- Children gain confidence in what they can do
- Enables them to feel the positive benefits of being healthy and active
- Counting, sorting, matching, seeking patterns, making connections, recognising relationships
- Working with numbers, shapes, space and measures
- Includes music, art, dance, role play and imaginative play
- Allows children to extend their understanding by making connections between one area of learning and another
Knowledge and Understanding of our World
- includes the development of crucial knowledge, skills and understanding that help them make sense of our world
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Develops emotional well-being, respect for others, social competence and a positive disposition to learn
The Early Learning Centre Toddlers offers a two-year program for children from 2 years to 3 years of age.
The Toddlers Section is staffed by a qualified teacher-in-charge and classroom assistants at a ratio of at least 1 adult to every 4 children. Our classroom assistants have either graduated with the IEA TAFE Certificate III in Children’s Services or are working towards this qualification.
We plan to meet children’s needs and interests in line with the IEA Early Childhood Curriculum. Activities provided stimulate curiosity and investigation while promoting communication, problem-solving and the development of age-appropriate social and emotional skills.
The Early Learning Centre Pre-school offers a two-year program for children from 3 years up until school entry age in line with the IEA Early Childhood Curriculum.
As play is the natural vehicle for children’s development and learning, a balance of indoor and outdoor, large and small group, individual, child-initiated and adult-led activities are designed to invite children to explore and investigate. The daily program involves age-appropriate structured group activity, explicit teaching opportunities as well as opportunities for co-operative and independent play.
Reception Program – for children turning 3 before 31 March
Transition Program – for children turning 4 before 31 March
The Early Learning Centre is part of The Ela Murray International School and offers educational programs for children from 2 years to 5 years of age.
The Early Learning Centre, or ELC, is situated in a purpose-built, landscaped playground on the IEA site at Ela Beach in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
The ELC opens at 7:30am and sessions conclude at 2:30pm. Sessions run in accordance with school hours and follow the 4 term school year.
Parents of prospective students are welcome to visit the Early Learning Centre to see our program in operation and collect an information pack: